Caring for someone with a serious illness requires a lot of different skills. Sometimes it’s hard to know what services you need and what’s available.
A program representative will come to your home, no charge, for a confidential visit where you can discuss your worries and concerns. He or she can tell you more about free and low cost services that are available, and help you coordinate resources.
For instance, you may be eligible for services such as:
- Management of pain and other distressing symptoms. Under certain conditions, a nurse can come out to the home to offer help in the form of prescription medications, strategies for more comfortable positions, different types of food, or assistive devices to make life easier.
- Someone to talk to about emotional or spiritual issues. Whether it’s the person you care for, or you the family caregiver who needs to talk, our team includes social workers and non-denominational chaplains. These compassionate professionals are well-versed in the needs and concerns of families coping with serious illness.
- A volunteer to give you a break. Need a couple hours a week to get out and visit with friends? Take a walk in the park? Reconnect with the part of you that is not a caregiver? We have volunteers who can come stay with your loved one while you take some well-deserved time off.
- Bathing and grooming. Even if the person you care for is bedbound, there are programs where aides can come to the home twice a week to give a bath, wash hair, shave, etc. Everyone feels better when they feel clean!
- Someone to pick up medicines and deliver them to the home. There are days where even the littlest errand is too much to squeeze in. We understand! Here’s one chore you don’t have to do any more.
- Equipment to help with comfort. Perhaps the person you care for is having trouble getting enough air. It may be that oxygen is what’s needed. Or getting in and out of bed is becoming too burdensome. A hospital bed can be ordered to help both the patient and the caregivers.
If you would like to learn more about these and other free or low cost services that could be available to you, give us a call at 302-478-5707 or complete the form below.